Monday, January 20, 2020

What Is Wicked, Anyway?




I want to share with you the delight of seeing Wicked on Broadway in NYC last week. It’s still with me. Have you seen it? Spoiler alert.

First, I treated myself to eighth row seats in the Orchestra. On a Tuesday night, these weren’t so costly and I’m telling you – being up-close brings a power, and skin-prickling goosebumps. I’ve learned this over the past ten years. I save my pennies and invest on acts to get up close. I go to less shows, and the ones I go to, I’m RIGHT THERE.

The truth is, like the keynote song of the show, I’m “Defying Gravity.” My heart is soaring. I can’t get the song out of my head...

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately
"Everyone deserves the chance to fly!"


And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who ground me
Take a message back from me

Tell them how I am defying gravity!
I'm flying high, defying gravity!
And soon, I'll match them in renown


And nobody in all of Oz
No wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!

~ “Defying Gravity,” Wicked 

Like all good art, Wicked has got so many layers. Paying attention, we see commentary on being an outcast – which can be applied to racism, prejudice, looks, gender, what we value as beauty, image – you name it. There are political references in the show. Being controlled by the man behind the curtain (Oz) who of course has no real power. There are comments on the wisdom of animals – sentient beings who are at risk of “losing their voices” – which can be applied to any human animal who is losing their voice because of appearance, of being differently-abled. The list goes on and on, really.

But the most striking aspect of Wicked to me is the truth that one’s “do-good” actions are often motivated by image, as in the case of Glinda the Good. And the paradox: the people-pleasing, popularity-seeking do-gooder actually creates more problems and disaster for those around her. The witch labeled “wicked,” Elphaba, realizes that there is no real good deed. That even by trying to help the animals, her paramour, her friends – there is an ultimate powerlessness in the world. An inability to control the outcome.
Hannah Corneau prepares for her role as Elphaba Thropp in Wicked, NYC

This is the main crux, the double whammy of Wicked. It forces us to ask ourselves, what is wicked, really? Is the shadow really evil? Is the dark really the problem? What happens when we vilify that which we are averse to? Can we see how it creates an even bigger crevasse, a gap that perpetuates the disgust, the hatred and ill will, often to the point of total destruction (“ding dong the witch is dead”)?
When we look at reality as a whole, we see that it is all perspective. It is good and fine to try to do right by others, for others, but let’s check the motivation: do we have an expectation of how things should look, how they should turn out “for the better”? Or can we simply accept that we can do the best we can, understanding from the point of view of Totality, we ultimately have no idea what is going to happen.

We remember that there are an infinite number of causes and effects occurring simultaneously, and there is no separate volition. It is all interconnected. When this is realized, we understand and embody the wisdom of seeing there is no ultimate reason to impose unnecessary shame or guilt on ourselves or others; additionally, we aren’t entitled to taking full credit for any positive outcomes either. We understand that it truly is as it is, as it is. We find peace, there is acceptance, and the heart is changed for good. 

Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?

But because I knew you


Because I knew you


I have been changed for good


 ~ “For Good,” Wicked

We are not separate.

With love,
Erin

The Bow Bridge, Central Park, NYC
Erin Reese is a modern psychic, non-dual teacher, author, and intuitive consultant based in the SF Bay Area. Erin has a Master of Science in Counseling and has been reading the Tarot for over thirty years. She works with clients all over the world.

2 comments :